FIRST GUEST: Lisa Lynn, Founder of LynFit and author of The Metabolism Solution
It’s estimated that 10% of Americans will gain at least five pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years.
Lisa shares her tips to prevent holiday weight gain, so you won’t have to resolve to lose those pounds come January.
- Monitor your diet and weight regularly by keeping a food diary and weigh yourself daily
- Boost your metabolism by eliminating the bad fats, and keeping the good ones. And don’t forget to exercise!
- When it comes to holiday egg nog, just say NO. Alcohol in general is very high in calories with no nutritional value. Unless, of course, you’re drinking wine. That’s a fruit. …Right? Please! Fine.
- Skip those appetizers. A little bite here and a little bite there can lead to a meal’s worth of calories before you even get to the main dish!
- Don’t let the guilt of giving in to your holiday cravings throw you off course. Start fresh at the next meal or the next day. Nobody’s perfect!
SECOND GUEST: Sharon Fine, Executive Director of the Long Grove Business and Community Partners
Oh, there’s no place like Long Grove for the holidays!
Every weekend leading up to Christmas is a festive one at historic and charming Long Grove. And this is the perfect place to get unique gifts for everyone on your list. Plus, if you spend $150, you get a free gift of your own!
And while you’re shopping local, donate new or gently used mittens or coats to their Smitten with Mittens drive!
Check out the holiday happenings at Long Grove below:
- Free horse-drawn carriage rides every Saturday from 1:00 – 6:00 through December 19th.
- See Santa every Saturday and Sunday from 1:00 – 4:00.
- Go caroling!
- Adlai E. Stevenson High School Choral Group, December 13th, 12:00 – 1:00
- Top of the World Quartet, December 13th, 1:00 – 4:00
- Jingle Singers, December 19th & 20th, 2:00 – 4:00
- Have lunch with Santa at the Village Tavern on December 19th at 11:00. Make reservations at 847-634-3117.
- Save 50% on select goodies from Viking Treasures
- Enjoy hand-carved carousel figures at Epilogue Arts
- Enjoy live holiday music from Bill Robinson & Friends every Saturday and Sunday at Mangel’s Gifts through December 20th from 10:00 – 5:00.
- Meet the “Humbug” on December 19th from 1:00 – 1:30.
For a complete list of seasonal events, check out visitlonggrove.com.
Weekend Journal airs Sunday mornings at 6:30 on US99.5 and 6:00 on US99.5 HD2 The Wolf.
Listen to this week’s full episode below.