I love Oreos as much as the next girl, but childhood obesity is at its highest level ever. It’s more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents since 1980.
Even though today’s kids are at serious health risks because of this obesity, they can easily make better decisions and change their behavior to get healthier.
Jennifer Sirangelo, President and Chief Executive Officer of the National 4-H Council, checks in to tell us all about the 4-H Youth Voice Youth Choice program, which mobilizes youth in their local communities to tackle wellness issues such as nutrition, physical fitness, and safety.
Learn more about this program at 4-H.org.
Later, we talk with Dr. Aimee Shunney about the five ways to fight inflammation naturally:
1) Eat a whole foods, anti-inflammatory diet.
2) Increase your activity level.
3) Get adequate sleep.
4) Include activities that calm down your stress response.
5) Use anti-inflammatory supplements.
And finally, I take you Around Chicagoland for these great events:
- Support the Danny Did Foundation in their fight against seizure-caused deaths by coming out to the Chicago Fire soccer game on Sunday, May 18th. Partial proceeds benefit the Danny Did Foundation. Get tickets at chicago-fire.com/danny.
- Take in a night of music, dinner, drinks, and prizes at Growing Home’s 12th annual benefit dinner and auction. Enjoy the organization’s USDA-certified organic produce, wine tasting, and meet 93XRT’s Lin Brehmer! Ticket sales benefit Growing Home Inc, whose mission is to operate, promote, and demonstrate the use of organic agriculture as a vehicle for job training, employment, and community development.
- Today (5/4/14), the Lincoln Park Zoo is hosting their Cinco de Mayo Pinata Party at 9:00 am, 11:00 am, and 1:00 pm. Make a pinata and then watch the animals tear them open for their treats! Register at lpzoo.org.
Listen to this week’s full episode below.
Weekend Journal airs Sunday mornings at 6:30 on US99.5.